Organic Waste

Organic waste includes the following material: green waste (landscape and pruning waste), food waste (including fats, oils, grease, and food-soiled paper waste that is mixed in with food waste), and nonhazardous wood waste. 

Green waste refers to waste resulting from maintenance or removal of vegetation, including but not limited to: grass, brush, branches, leaves, flowers, shrubs and small trees.

Wood waste refers to nonhazardous wood waste such as untreated and non-laminated lumber.

Food waste for residential purposes includes fruits and vegetables.

Food waste for business purposes includes food products which are off-specification, outdated, or recalled commercial products, including food, beverages, and food products in original individual consumer packaging. These items may include canned foods, beer, wine, soft drinks, fruit juices, milk, yogurt, ice cream, etc. Food waste also includes food-soiled paper that are typically mixed in with food waste include uncoated products such as napkins, towels, and tissues, paper plates, paper cups, fast food wrappers, egg cartons, used pizza boxes, wax-coated cardboard, and other similar paper or compostable packaging.

  • Residents
  • Businesses

Mandatory Organics Recycling

Organic wastes are recyclable through composting and mulching, and through anaerobic digestions, which can produce renewable energy. In an effort to achieve California's recycling and greenhouse gas emission goals, in 2016, the State began implementing AB 1826 Legislation (Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling) in a tiered approach..

As of January 1, 2019, any business or multi-family dwellings of five units or more that generate four cubic yards or more of solid waste per week must recycle their organic waste.

For detailed information on the requirements go to CalRecycle's website.

This information above is offered as a public service in an effort to eliminate illegal and improper waste disposal. As the information may not be comprehensive, the Department encourages the public to research additional companies that are available for the services sought. The companies are not affiliated, endorsed or regulated by the Department. Accordingly, as with any professional service, please confirm the accuracy of the company’s information and request copies or verification of the company's license and/or permits to provide the service, prior to utilizing its services. Under no circumstances, directly or indirectly, shall the Department be held responsible or liable for reliance on this information.  If you would like to include your company on the list, please contact or call (951) 486-3200.