Construction and Demolition (C&D) Waste

Construction, demolition and renovation (CD&R) waste includes debris generated by the construction, demolition or renovation of buildings, homes, mobile homes, and other structures.

Depending on the material used in the construction of the structure, the waste may be hazardous and can pose health hazards to solid waste workers. This waste includes material such as lead (from lead-painted building materials) or asbestos and asbestos containing material (ACM).

Lead-based paint can be harmful to the environment when landfilled. Asbestos and ACM which contain friable asbestos at quantities greater than 1% is considered hazardous asbestos waste and can expose landfill users and solid waste workers to severe health hazards.

Riverside County must comply with the California Green Building Standards Code, which includes mandatory C&D recycling. For information contact the Riverside County Building and Safety DepartmentProjects that require a building permit may have the potential to generate C&D waste and therefore may be required to complete the following:


Step 1:  Waste Recycling Plan (WRP) - Form B to identify the estimated quantity and location of recycling for C&D waste resulting from the project, prior to permit issuance.

Step 2:  Waste  Reporting Form - Form C is required upon completion of the project, prior to final inspection and demonstrates the actual quantity of C&D waste recycled.

Recycling Tips!

Here are a few tips to stop waste before it starts:

  • Avoid leftovers:  measure twice and cut once.

  • Choose materials that are durable and do not have to be replaced frequently.

  • Use energy efficient lighting fixtures, insulation, and appliances.

  • Instead of traditional demolition, consider salvaging and careful deconstruction so that the materials can be reused.

  • Ask your contractor to recycle your old materials; it might even save you money!

Perhaps the best way to reuse materials is to buy recycled! There are many items available that come from recycled content, such as plastic lumber, floor tile from tires, and many plastic items. Purchasing items with recycled content instead of products made from new materials helps to increase recycling efforts and reuses valuable materials that might otherwise be landfilled.

For additional recycling information for carpet, appliance, drywall, metal, etc. recycling please visit the Waste Guide.

What Regulations Do I Have to Follow if I Want to Renovate or Demolish the Structure?

If you are a contractor or working on a structure other than your personal residence, within the jurisdiction of South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) and wish to conduct a renovation or demolition activity which consists of more than 100 square feet, you must submit a notification to SCAQMD regardless of whether or not the structure contains asbestos. Included with notification of demolition, the SCAQMD requires that you submit an asbestos survey. If the structure contains asbestos, you must also comply with SCAQMD Rule 1403. For more information on SCAQMD Rule 1403, visit their website HERE.  For any home/building structure located outside of the SCAQMD jurisdiction, the owner shall contact the local air pollution control district and comply with that district’s regulations. 

Depending on the material and type of hazard present in the structures, the owner of the wastes must follow the Local, State, and Federal regulations prior to demolition and when disposing of the wastes.

Recycling Locations

CD&R materials occupy a very large percentage of landfill space in Riverside County. Most construction waste consists of wood, drywall, metals, concrete, and cardboard which can all be reused or recycled with proper management. Recycling this waste will save landfill space.

Private Construction and Demolition Recycling Companies

For a list of suggestions to reduce your construction and demolition waste, as well as a list of recyclers by county, please click HERE

Construction and Demolition (C&D) recyclers will accept your waste building materials and produce reusable products from them. For a list of companies and acceptable materials for C&D recycling, click HERE.

Additional Recycling Opportunities can be located found by looking through your local Yellow pages under Construction and Demolition Recycling.

Disposal Locations

Riverside County Landfills

Riverside County landfills accept construction, demolition, and renovation waste that does not contain hazardous asbestos waste and other hazardous components. Upon request, customers disposing of demolition and renovation waste must provide the asbestos survey indicating the structure and waste do not contain lead painted material or hazardous asbestos waste.

Riverside County landfills are not designed, permitted, nor equipped to accept hazardous waste. In the event a Riverside County employee suspects the presence of hazardous waste the waste load will be secured as evidence and tested. If the results are positive for these hazardous wastes, the case will be referred to environmental law enforcing agencies for cost recovery and possible prosecution.

Locations & hours

Fee schedule:  Routine refuse disposal rates apply

Hazardous Waste Transporter

If your waste contains material with lead-based paint or hazardous asbestos waste, contact a hazardous waste transporter to properly manage this waste. To find a Hazardous Waste Transporter, please click HERE

This information above is offered as a public service in an effort to eliminate illegal and improper waste disposal. As the information may not be comprehensive, the Department encourages the public to research additional companies that are available for the services sought. The companies are not affiliated, endorsed or regulated by the Department. Accordingly, as with any professional service, please confirm the accuracy of the company’s information and request copies or verification of the company's license and/or permits to provide the service, prior to utilizing its services. Under no circumstances, directly or indirectly, shall the Department be held responsible or liable for reliance on this information.  If you would like to include your company on the list, please contact or call (951) 486-3200.